Ensuring a stable, social environment in the regions where we operate is important to SUEK and we are implementing a range of socio-economic and charitable programmes to improve the quality of life of our employees, their families and local communities.
SUEK’s social programmes cover 48 cities and towns in the regions of Russia where we operate. In addition, SUEK is the largest taxpayer and employer in a number of Russian regions, and through our regional policy we aim to improve the quality of life in mining towns and settlements and to create a comfortable social environment. Every year, SUEK rolls out about 150 social and charitable projects. In 2017, the company paid $310m to local, regional and federal budgets, and allocated additional $22m to charity projects.
We maintain constructive relationships with regional and municipal authorities as well as non-governmental organisations in order to promote sustainable development of local communities. Regular sociological surveys allow us to assess performance of our programmes and develop new areas for social investment.
Our social priorities include:
- Working alongside regional authorities to improve housing standards and develop education, sports and medical care
- Making the regions where the Group operates more attractive to the younger generation, thereby helping to recruit young people to work in the coal mining industry
- Improving efficiency of social investment in the regions and encouraging greater engagement with non-governmental organisations and the business community
The company’s social activities cover multiple areas which, as we believe, are essential for improving the quality of life in the regions:
- sports and healthy lifestyle;
- urban landscaping and infrastructure development;
- leisure activities, culture, and fulfillment of creative potential;
- improving local administrations;
- developing social and business activities of the public, and providing self-fulfillment opportunities;
- affordable housing and utilities.
The primary tool for implementing our social policy in the regions is a non-profit organisation called ‘Socio-economic regional support fund ‘SUEK to the Regions’. The Fund covers all regions of SUEK’s operation. It develops and implements its own programs within the regions, which takes into account the specifics of each particular community.
More detailed information about the programs which were implemented in 2017 is available in the 2017 Annual Report